Saturday, April 14, 2012

Winter is coming...

...so I have been working hard after the Harrietville retreat. Some new yarns and other items added to the website.
Harrietville was a relaxing and learning process, with lots of fun in between. The historical dyeing was fun and interesting to note that Indigo changes as the yarn hits the air (that's another photo I haven't taken yet).
How to make better drum carded batts, I also liked, something for all those add ins that are talked about these days. I made some batts but instead of using them for Artyarns I made 2 ply yarns plying with some of my hand dyed tops.
Weaving tips, and wool combing with English combs was something else I was happy to participate in.
Muliticolour wool/fibre batt plied with hand dyed wool top

Muliticolour wool top plied with solid colour wool top

Light colour semi-solids

Handspun jumper and woven scarf

So, now I have completed a machine knit handspun jumper in Natural dark grey, a scarf completed off the knitter's loom, and some hand dyed semi-solids in light colours for a change. I am also adding 50 gram carded dyed fleece batts to my market stall as I do them, unless I spin them first.
Hand dyed semi-solid

Hand dyed semi-solid
  This big beast obtained from a clearing sale. A Gardner wool press of unknown vintage but has been in the family for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment